You may take your pets with you on your Turkish Airlines flights. To do this your pet must have valid vaccination and health certificates; entry permits and any other documents required by countries of transit are also required.
Inadmissible pets in our flights
The following dogs are considered dangerous and will not be admitted on our flights: American pitbull terrier, bull terrier, American staffordshire terrier, japanese tosa, dogo argentino, fila brasileiro, rottweiller, staffordshire bull terrier Neopolitan Mastiff, Spanish Mastiff, Dogue de Bordeux, Roman Fighting Dog, Bandog Tosa Inu, Mastiff, Tibetan Mastiff, Doberman, pincher doberman, American Bulldog, Caucasian owtscharka, Mastino Napolitana.
Rules regarding the pet transport
- On our planes, in both the cabin and cargo compartments, only cats, dogs, and small passerine birds (goldfinches, budgies, canaries) can be transported as pets.
- It is necessary for all relevant permissions to be completed and approved 6 hours before the time of the flight at the very latest.
- The allowed quota for carry on pets varies according to the type of aircraft.
- The transactions of the pets to be transported in the passenger cabin or in the cargo compartment are carried out in the check-in counter with the passenger.
- The pet's health certificate, vaccination papers, and all relevant documents are required to be on the passenger's person throughout the entirety of the admissions procedure.
- Pets are required to appear at check-in looking healthy, clean, and well-kempt. Any pets which appear unhealthy or in poor condition may not be accepted for transport.
- The pet traveling with the passenger will not be included in the passenger’s free baggage allowance but charges will be applied.
Transport charges for pets on domestic flights as of March 10, 2016
|PETC*||0-7.99 KG||70 TRY|
|AVIH**||8-15.99 KG||110 TRY|
|AVIH**||16 KG and more||170 TRY|
*PETC: Pet transported in the cabin (pet in cabin)
** AVIH: Pets transported in the cargo area (animal in hold)
- Passengers traveling with caged pets must have "the passenger's name, address, telephone information, the number of pets, and the name of the pet" written down along with the name/address label.
- Some countries do not allow passengers traveling with pets for entry, exit or transit purposes. For further information, please contact the nearest Turkish Airlines Sales Office.
- The size of allowed cages/bags for pets in the cabin is 23x40x55 cm (widthxheightxlength). All carry on cages/bags must not exceed a total weight of 7.99 kg. Should the weight of the cage and pet exceed 7.99 kg, it may only be transported as cargo.
- Pets who share a cage, in order to be accepted as carry on into the cabin, must be accustomed one another, must be of the same species (2 birds, 2 cats, 2 dogs), and must not exceed the permitted weight of 7.99 kg or the permitted cage size of 23x40x55cm.
- Kittens or puppies who are younger than 8 weeks old or who are still weaning may not be transported, nor may a still weaning mother. Kittens or puppies between 8 weeks and 12 weeks old may only be transported with the express permission of their veterinarian. No more than 3 kittens or puppies from the same mother between 8-24 weeks old who are traveling in the same cage will be permitted.
- Pets that are pregnant will not be permitted on the aircraft.
- Turkish Airlines is in no way responsible for any deterioration in the health of an animal during or after its transport on a Turkish Airlines flight.
- In the case of passengers who are allergic to cats, dogs, or birds and can prove their allergy with a medical report stating as such, no pets will be allowed in the cabin. Priority to the passenger who first booked their flight will be given in the case of passengers traveling with a guide dog who are on the same flight as a passenger who can prove allergy to cats, dogs or birds with a medical report.
- Cages must be provided by the owner of the live animal in question.
- Each passenger can bring a maximum of two pet cages on our flights. However, only one cage can be brought into the cabin (PETC) and the other must be transported in the cargo hold (AVIH).
- Dogs and cats, or cats and birds may not be carried onto the same plane (whether or not they are in the same cabin). Dogs and birds will be placed in separate cabins, or as far away as possible from one another.
- Cats who suffer from respiratory problems (Persian, Himalayan, Burmese, etc.), should they fit within the boundaries of acceptable weight and size limits, are recommended to be carried on in the cabin.
- Dogs who suffer from respiratory problems (Pekinese, pug, shar pei, shih tzu, japenese spaniel, chow chow, English toy spaniel, bulldog, boston terrier, boxer, brussels griffin, mastiff, etc.), should they fit within the boundaries of acceptable weight and size limits, are recommended to be carried on in the cabin.
- Passengers traveling with guide dogs (including those who accompany passengers for medical reasons, for vision and hearing impaired passengers) will be allowed to bring their guide dogs into the cabin free of charge. As per the rules of the country passenger is traveling to, all necessary documents required for travel such as mental health professional’s letter for Emotional support dogs, vaccination papers or identity cards must be must be available during check in and boarding procedures on the flight. Guide dogs without all required documentation in full will not be permitted on the flight.
- Assistance dogs must be clean, leashed and must sit on the floor next to their owner's feet.
- In order for a guide dog to be allowed in either the cabin or as cargo, it is required to have the reservation approved at least 48 hours prior to the flight time.
Acceptance rules for pets traveling on flights to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
- For all pets, import license from the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Veterinary Department (validity is for 60 days).
- Certificate of export health certificate approved by the veterinary directorate of the country where the first flight was made (certificate must be obtained 48 hours before flight)
- For cats and dogs, a passport and health certificate showing that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies and other illnesses (pet’s rabies vaccination must have taken place at least one month before the flight but not more than one year in advance). Dogs must be vaccinated against Parvo, Distemper, hepatitis, leptospira; cats must be vaccinated against feline enteritis and feline influenza. For cats and dogs, an original laboratory report showing their immunity level against rabies (serology test) should be accompanied.
Pets aged under three months are not admitted into the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. However, admission will be granted to small pets, aged between two and three months, which are traveling with their mother, have been in the same place since birth, have had no direct contact with wild animals that may carry infections and have their own passport. For more detailed information, please visit the website www.veteriner.gov.ct.tr.